New Jersey News
76-year-old man murdered in Manchester
MANCHESTER, N.J. (WABC) -- Police are searching for the person who killed a 76-year-old man.
The body of Anthony Verdicchio was found brutally beaten inside his mobile home in the Ocean County Town of Manchester.
Dozens of law enforcement officers combed the woods near Tony Verdicchio's home.
Shoulder to shoulder they searched, looking closely and carefully, considering anything that might be evidence in his homicide which has left this neighborhood in fear.
"Never had a problem here, been here 13 years, slept with windows open, never a problem. This is crazy," a neighbor said.
Verdicchio was beaten to death inside his home.
His body discovered earlier this week by a friend.
For days, investigators have been pouring through his home, looking for clues.
His neighbors are concerned that a killer is on the loose.
"Scary. People are worried. Protection, cops won't say what's going on," said Joe, a Manchester Township resident.
"Last night, I checked my locks three times before bed," a neighbor said.
Verdicchio was well known and very much liked. It's a testament to his life in his neighborhood.
"In the winter, he would ask if I needed the snow removed and he would come clear my driveway so I could go to work," said Ruth Jarvis, a neighbor.
At his home away from home, he spent every day, nearly all day, at the news stand store across Route 37 with friends in all the shops.
"Tony was a wonderful person, warm, always kind, stopped all the time to see how we were," said Bonnie Russo, a friend.
Now they are posting his picture and asking for help in solving the murder of their friend.
"He'd do anything for anybody. I can't believe anyone would do this," said Bertha Sullivan, a friend.
new jersey, ocean county, murder, new jersey news, toni yates
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos