New Jersey News
Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A 12-year-old boy is being remembered after he was fatally shot playing basetball outside of his home in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Gywan Levine Jr. loved sports and was looking forward to playing his next football season.
Police say he was dribbling a basketball with his father right outside the family's house when a gunman approached and fired several shots, hitting his father in the leg and leaving the 12 year old boy with a fatal injury.
A shrine has not been placed in front of the 12 year olds home as family members prepare for the unthinkable task of saying a final farewell to a child whose hopes and dreams were crushed by gun violence.
What has been going on is a spike in gun violence in the city.
Overnight there was a police involved shooting where a suspect was hit several times.
This comes on the heels of two people being shot leaving a liquor store and a woman standing outside a campaign event was hit by a stray bullet fired by a drug dealer who was gunning at two men who tried to steal 40 pills of ecstasy.
Incoming Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop has said that curbing gun violence is one of his top priorities.
new jersey, jersey city, police shooting, new jersey news
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 6 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 41 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 48 min ago