New Jersey News
Young child fatally shot outside Jersey City home
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- A 12-year-old boy is being remembered after he was fatally shot playing basetball outside of his home in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Gywan Levine Jr. loved sports and was looking forward to playing his next football season.
Police say he was dribbling a basketball with his father right outside the family's house when a gunman approached and fired several shots, hitting his father in the leg and leaving the 12 year old boy with a fatal injury.
A shrine has not been placed in front of the 12 year olds home as family members prepare for the unthinkable task of saying a final farewell to a child whose hopes and dreams were crushed by gun violence.
What has been going on is a spike in gun violence in the city.
Overnight there was a police involved shooting where a suspect was hit several times.
This comes on the heels of two people being shot leaving a liquor store and a woman standing outside a campaign event was hit by a stray bullet fired by a drug dealer who was gunning at two men who tried to steal 40 pills of ecstasy.
Incoming Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop has said that curbing gun violence is one of his top priorities.
new jersey, jersey city, police shooting, new jersey news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 46 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 50 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare