New Jersey News
New Jersey couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges
BRICK (WABC) -- Two New Jersey residents accused of abusing their dog and bringing it to a Tinton Falls animal shelter were in court Monday.
Keith and Shauna Morgan were arraigned on animal cruelty charges in a Brick Township courtroom.
Keith Morgan, 56, and Shauna Morgan, 43, initially claimed they found the dog, named Sammy, in a trash bag before bringing it to the shelter in March. The pooch was covered in urine, and his fur was so matted together that he couldn't stand.
Sammy is now at a foster home with other cocker spaniels and said to be doing well.
More than 250 people packed the courtroom in support of the dog.
If convicted, the Morgans face a maximum of six months in jail and up to $1,000 fine on each count.
new jersey, animal abuse, dogs, dog, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 37 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Up Close with Diana Williams