New Jersey News
'Kai the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker' returns to New Jersey to face murder charge
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- A man known online as "Kai, the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker" is back in New Jersey to face a murder charge.
Caleb McGillivary is being held in the Union County jail in Elizabeth Thursday after he waived extradition following his arrest in Philadelphia on May 16.
The 24-year-old is charged with beating 73-year-old lawyer Joseph Galfy to death after they met in New York City earlier this month. Galfy's partially clad body was found in his Clark, N.J., home two days later.
McGillivary gained Internet fame in February when he was interviewed after he intervened with a hatchet in an apparently unprovoked attack on a Fresno, Calif., utility worker.
McGillivary said he was from Sophia, W.Va., but his father told The Associated Press that McGillivary was born and raised in Canada.
new jersey, clark, murder, new jersey news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash