New Jersey News
'Kai the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker' returns to New Jersey to face murder charge
ELIZABETH, N.J. -- A man known online as "Kai, the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker" is back in New Jersey to face a murder charge.
Caleb McGillivary is being held in the Union County jail in Elizabeth Thursday after he waived extradition following his arrest in Philadelphia on May 16.
The 24-year-old is charged with beating 73-year-old lawyer Joseph Galfy to death after they met in New York City earlier this month. Galfy's partially clad body was found in his Clark, N.J., home two days later.
McGillivary gained Internet fame in February when he was interviewed after he intervened with a hatchet in an apparently unprovoked attack on a Fresno, Calif., utility worker.
McGillivary said he was from Sophia, W.Va., but his father told The Associated Press that McGillivary was born and raised in Canada.
new jersey, clark, murder, new jersey news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 52 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
52 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos