New Jersey News
5-alarm fire burns in Passaic; High School evacuates
Friday, May 31, 2013
PASSAIC, N.J. (WABC) -- A huge fire in Passaic, New Jersey has left 8 firefighters injured and forced the evacuation of Passaic High School.
The fire broke out at about 9:15 Friday morning at a four-story apartment building at 162 Gregory Avenue, directly behind Passaic High School. Part of the building's roof collapsed, and firefighters battled to keep the blaze from spreading to other buildings. Eight firefighters were taken to St. Mary's Hospital. They are being treated for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion, and are in stable condition. Three civilian and 1 EMS were hurt as well, and firefighters had to rescue a number of residents. "We had multiple victims on the third floor yelling for help, visible from the windows," said Patrick Trentacast of the Passaic Fire Department. "We had people on fire escapes. On a day like today our guys are dropping like flies. It's heat exhaustion." The Passaic School District superintendent's office says students from the high school were relocated to Lincoln Middle School and School 11. Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire, which broke out in a third-floor apartment. The building houses over 100 people. At least ten towns sent fire trucks to the scene, including as far away as Totowa.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
new jersey, passaic, fire, new jersey news
- Missing plane may have turned back 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links