New Jersey News
5-alarm fire burns in Passaic; High School evacuates
Friday, May 31, 2013
PASSAIC, N.J. (WABC) -- A huge fire in Passaic, New Jersey has left 8 firefighters injured and forced the evacuation of Passaic High School.
The fire broke out at about 9:15 Friday morning at a four-story apartment building at 162 Gregory Avenue, directly behind Passaic High School. Part of the building's roof collapsed, and firefighters battled to keep the blaze from spreading to other buildings. Eight firefighters were taken to St. Mary's Hospital. They are being treated for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion, and are in stable condition. Three civilian and 1 EMS were hurt as well, and firefighters had to rescue a number of residents. "We had multiple victims on the third floor yelling for help, visible from the windows," said Patrick Trentacast of the Passaic Fire Department. "We had people on fire escapes. On a day like today our guys are dropping like flies. It's heat exhaustion." The Passaic School District superintendent's office says students from the high school were relocated to Lincoln Middle School and School 11. Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire, which broke out in a third-floor apartment. The building houses over 100 people. At least ten towns sent fire trucks to the scene, including as far away as Totowa.
(Copyright ©2014 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
new jersey, passaic, fire, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls 5 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying 14 min ago
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run 44 min ago
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 35 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links