New Jersey News
Gunpowder, explosive devices found in home after Bergenfield fire
BERGENFIELD (WABC) -- Authorities say a man was killed and his mother and a firefighter were hospitalized after a fast-moving fire roared through a home in Bergenfield.
Firefighters responded to the Bergenfield residence around 7:40 a.m. Sunday and battled the three-alarm blaze for about 90 minutes before it was brought under control.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli tells The Record that the cause of the fire remains under investigation but does not appear to be suspicious. He said gunpowder and explosive devices were found in the basement, but didn't think the items played a role in the fire.
Officers were also seen taking several shotguns and other items from the home.
Authorities say the firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion. But details on the woman and her injuries were not disclosed.
new jersey, bergen county, fire, fire death, firefighter injured, new jersey news
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 18 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 13 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 39 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams