New Jersey News
Gunpowder, explosive devices found in home after Bergenfield fire
BERGENFIELD (WABC) -- Authorities say a man was killed and his mother and a firefighter were hospitalized after a fast-moving fire roared through a home in Bergenfield.
Firefighters responded to the Bergenfield residence around 7:40 a.m. Sunday and battled the three-alarm blaze for about 90 minutes before it was brought under control.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli tells The Record that the cause of the fire remains under investigation but does not appear to be suspicious. He said gunpowder and explosive devices were found in the basement, but didn't think the items played a role in the fire.
Officers were also seen taking several shotguns and other items from the home.
Authorities say the firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion. But details on the woman and her injuries were not disclosed.
new jersey, bergen county, fire, fire death, firefighter injured, new jersey news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner 47 min ago
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation 17 min ago
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K 37 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD...
47 min ago