New Jersey News
Garfield police chase suspect in custody
GARFIELD (WABC) -- The domestic violence suspect that Garfield Police had been searching for all day is in custody.
The incident began in Passaic, with police responding to a domestic dispute call on South Street and 9th Street.
When they arrived, 47-year-old Dexter Mouzone fled in a white van. Officers gave chase into Garfield, where the Mouzone crashed and fled on foot through backyards.
Polices say that at one point, he unsuccessfully tried to carjack someone.
Investigators went door to door in a 4 block radius and could not find him. The search was called off around 2:00 p.m.
Then, Mouzone was found hiding inside 95 Palisade Avenue at around 5:30 p.m.
City officials say he broke the lock on the front door of a 2nd floor apartment at that address.
He locked the homeowner's dog in one of the rooms and then hid in the attic. The dog is fine.
When the homeowner got home and saw the broken lock, he called police.
Police searched the apartment, and when they went to open the push-up attic door, they couldn't.
They say Mouzone was sitting on it, preventing them from getting in.
Police eventually talked him out and he was taken into custody.
Charges are pending.
Deputy Mayor Tana Raymond says the police did a wonderful job apprehending this man.
new jersey, passaic, garfield, police chase, accident, new jersey news
- Missing plane may have turned back 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt
- Spring forward: Clocks turned ahead one hour 30 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong 3 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Missing plane may have turned back
54 min ago