New Jersey News
Garfield police chase suspect in custody
GARFIELD (WABC) -- The domestic violence suspect that Garfield Police had been searching for all day is in custody.
The incident began in Passaic, with police responding to a domestic dispute call on South Street and 9th Street.
When they arrived, the suspect fled in a white van. Officers gave chase into Garfield, where the suspect crashed and fled on foot through backyards.
Polices say that at one point, he unsuccessfully tried to carjack someone.
Investigators went door to door in a 4 block radius and could not find him. The search was called off around 2:00 p.m.
Then, the suspect, who still hasn't been identified, was found hiding inside 95 Palisade Avenue at around 5:30 p.m.
City officials say the suspect broke the lock on the front door of a 2nd floor apartment at that address.
He locked the homeowner's dog in one of the rooms and then hid in the attic. The dog is fine.
When the homeowner got home and saw the broken lock, he called police.
Police searched the apartment, and when they went to open the push-up attic door, they couldn't.
The suspect was sitting on it, preventing them from getting in.
Police eventually talked the man out and he was taken into custody.
Charges are pending.
Deputy Mayor Tana Raymond says the police did a wonderful job apprehending this man.
new jersey, passaic, garfield, police chase, accident, new jersey news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos