New Jersey News
New Jersey hit by tropical rain, flooding
HOBOKEN (WABC) -- The National Weather Service issued flash flood warnings as heavy rain from Tropical Storm Andrea drenched New Jersey.
NJ Transit is cross-honored tickets on its trains and buses. Newark Liberty International Airport reported delays and advised travelers to call ahead and check flight status.The National Weather Service says up to five inches of rain had fallen across the New York area by late Friday night. Periods of heavy rain overnight could bring a couple of more inches before the remnants of Andrea pass by. While the additional rain could spark more flash flooding, most rivers were expected to remain in their banks, although a few may approach bankfull, officials said. In Hoboken, where flooding is a continual problem, the water rose quickly and turned Madison Avenue into a river between 9th and 10th Avenues. Before the storm, Hoboken offered discounted parking at two garages as a precaution and crews cleaned storm drains and manholes. "We've activated our emergency response team, our CERT team," Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer said.
Jersey City also set up barricades along flood-prone streets ahead of the heavy rain.
Beach erosion was not expected to be a problem along the Jersey Shore, but there was a high rip current risk with surf heights of 4 to 6 feet, officials said.
The first tropical system of the season arrived with the memory of Superstorm Sandy still fresh in everyone's minds. That storm devastated the state, causing tens of billions of dollars in damage and wiping out or damaging hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses.
new jersey, hoboken, flooding, tropical storm, new jersey news
- At least 3 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape