New Jersey News
Fatal fire kills teenager in New Jersey home
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- A 17-year-old girl was killed in a 5 alarm fire at her Elizabeth home.
The teenager was trapped on the 3rd floor of 1037 William Street, a building that neighbors describe as a boarding house.
The victim was supposed to graduate from high school this week.
The fire started at around 9:30pm and wasn't put under control until early Sunday morning. The teen's body was found at around 12:30am.
The fire was so intense that firefighters couldn't get inside and the center of the building collapsed. It took 100 firefighters around 4 hours to put the fire out.
At least one resident jumped from the building to escape the flames.
The cause of the fire is under investigation by fire marshals.
The home is expected to be demolished later today.
new jersey, elizabeth, fire, fire death, new jersey news
- At least 2 dead, 28 hurt in East Harlem explosion 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 11 min ago
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination