New Jersey News
Fatal fire kills teenager in New Jersey home
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- A 17-year-old girl was killed in a 5 alarm fire at her Elizabeth home.
The teenager was trapped on the 3rd floor of 1037 William Street, a building that neighbors describe as a boarding house.
The victim was supposed to graduate from high school this week.
The fire started at around 9:30pm and wasn't put under control until early Sunday morning. The teen's body was found at around 12:30am.
The fire was so intense that firefighters couldn't get inside and the center of the building collapsed. It took 100 firefighters around 4 hours to put the fire out.
At least one resident jumped from the building to escape the flames.
The cause of the fire is under investigation by fire marshals.
The home is expected to be demolished later today.
new jersey, elizabeth, fire, fire death, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 1 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
1 min ago