New Jersey News
Julie Hermann starts as Rutgers athletic director
NEWARK, N.J. -- Julie Hermann has started her first full day as Rutgers' athletic director.
A university spokesman tweeted late Monday morning that Hermann was on campus.
The spokesman did not say what time Hermann showed up for work, but a car was parked in the athletic director's spot at 7:15 a.m. when an Associated Press reporter arrived at the Rutgers Athletic Center.
Hermann was hired as athletic director May 15 and then spent weeks under the microscope after it was alleged by volleyball players that she coached at Tennessee that they were verbally and emotionally abused by her. Hermann denied the allegations.
Some politicians and alumni called for her to be replaced but university President Robert Barchi stood by her and Gov. Chris Christie backed him.
Hermann replaced Tim Pernetti, who resigned under pressure because of his handling of the basketball scandal that led to the firing of coach Mike Rice.
new jersey, rutgers university, new jersey news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 49 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 53 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare