New Jersey News
Julie Hermann starts as Rutgers athletic director
NEWARK, N.J. -- Julie Hermann has started her first full day as Rutgers' athletic director.
A university spokesman tweeted late Monday morning that Hermann was on campus.
The spokesman did not say what time Hermann showed up for work, but a car was parked in the athletic director's spot at 7:15 a.m. when an Associated Press reporter arrived at the Rutgers Athletic Center.
Hermann was hired as athletic director May 15 and then spent weeks under the microscope after it was alleged by volleyball players that she coached at Tennessee that they were verbally and emotionally abused by her. Hermann denied the allegations.
Some politicians and alumni called for her to be replaced but university President Robert Barchi stood by her and Gov. Chris Christie backed him.
Hermann replaced Tim Pernetti, who resigned under pressure because of his handling of the basketball scandal that led to the firing of coach Mike Rice.
new jersey, rutgers university, new jersey news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos