New Jersey News
Suspect shot and killed in Newark robbery attempt
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police are investigating a deadly shooting at a jewelry store in Newark, New Jersey.
For parents like Sharon Payne it was the worst kind of afternoon pickup of her children.
"It's horrible, somebody always getting hurt," Payne said.
The cops were on the block and police tape was stretched out in front of her children's day care. The suspect's alleged gun was lying on the sidewalk.
Dajuan Barnett had seen enough.
"It's kids right here, it's dangerous for them," Barnett said.
It was the aftermath of an attempted robbery of a jewelry store on Central Avenue.
It happened at about 3:10 p.m. Monday.
In some surveillance video you can see a crossing guard in the intersection. Parents were walking their kids down the sidewalk. And then across the street, there was a man running out of the jewelry store and someone chasing him.
The attorney for the owner says the shooting occurred in the store, not on the street, and that the store owner was firing in self defense after the suspect made threats and demanded money.
"He's owned the place for 10 years?" Eyewitness News asked.
"10 years or more," the attorney said.
The store owner's father says this is not the first time his son's jewelry store has been targeted. They had been hit one time before.
This time, according to investigators, he turned the tables on the would-be robber, shooting and killing the suspect before he could get away.
new jersey, newark, robbery, shooting, new jersey news, jeff pegues
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause 42 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks 4 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for...
42 min ago