New Jersey News
Man allegedly beaten, robbed while walking home from hospital
MAYWOOD (WABC) -- When they found 51-year-old James Gilly bleeding in the middle of the intersection a few blocks from the police department, they thought he had been hit by a car.
It was a dark, rainy night, and Gilly's boot was found 15 feet away. The home security system caught a red sedan stop near his body and then drive off. Then, doctors told police his injuries were more consistent with a beating. They later also learned he was robbed.
It is all very confusing for Maywood police. They are doing everything they can to solve this mystery, including drying out Gilly's clothes from that night. You can see they was an injury to his knee, but most of the injuries he sustained were to his head.
Due to the head trauma, Gilly has been in a coma now for a week. He is the one with all the answers, but he can't speak.
Earlier in the night, Gilly had taken his girlfriend here to Holy name hospital 3 miles away from where he was eventually found. Hours later, several people saw him walking in the rain with his girlfriend's empty wheelchair. He was eventually jumped, beaten and robbed, found right in front of Debra Kirkland's house.
"I seen cops here. The block was blocked off and stuff like this never happens in Maywood!" said Kirkland.
After a week of investigating and narrowing their focus, Chief Pegg says they "are" closer to solving this mystery.
"We have a couple of very good leads we are following up on and yes I hope to have some closure on this," said Pegg.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway