New Jersey News
Gambling ring bust nets 22 arrests in New Jersey
FREEHOLD, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say the deputy director of public works for Toms River is among 22 people arrested as part of an investigation into a $1 million-a-week gambling ring.
The Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office says the enterprise operated in Monmouth, Somerset, Essex and Hudson counties and in New York.
Authorities say the ring used websites to track illegal bets and record profits and losses. Prosecutors also allege members sold marijuana and prescription drugs.
Anthony Benyola of Toms River is suspended from his job with the township's public works department.
Authorities say 55-year-old Richard Crossan of Hillsborough and 38-year-old Anthony Gagliardi of Monmouth Beach acted as co-conspirators.
Three suspects remain at-large.
Initial court appearances are scheduled in Freehold on Tuesday afternoon.
new jersey, gambling, arrest, new jersey news
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 53 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 35 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 33 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
11 min ago