New Jersey News
Rutgers merging with UMDNJ, Rowan University
NEW BRUNSWICK -- Rutgers University is adding two medical schools, Rowan is becoming a research university and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey is dissolving.
All those changes become official Monday as a reorganization of public higher education in New Jersey takes effect.
Ceremonies are scheduled at various universities to mark the transition. Among the festivities planned is a ringing of the Old Queens Bell, a part of Rutgers tradition.
The change is intended to clear the way for Rutgers to become a major center for medical sciences research and grow the number of seats in universities in New Jersey.
new jersey, rutgers university, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 6 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Geno Smith leads Jets to victory over Raiders
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos