New Jersey News
Treehouse trouble for New Jersey girl
EMERSON, N.J. (WABC) -- It was supposed to be just a little kid's treehouse, but it's causing some big problems for the family in New Jersey that built it.
"This is my treehouse" said Katie Tenebruso, 8 years old.
It is 8-year-old Katie Tenebruso's safe place, her own palace in the sky. It's where she entertains her friends and even spends the night, in what could be the coolest treehouse you've ever seen.
"I really like coming in here and it makes me happy," Katie Tenebruso said.
Her mom's boyfriend built it, complete with four real windows, a mailbox, and bunk beds.
"They use their imagination and they're very quiet," said Susan Tenebruso, Katie's grandmother.
But not everyone thinks it's so sweet.
The next door neighbor complained to Emerson borough officials, calling it an eyesore, and building inspectors discovered plenty of problems.
This is far from your average treehouse. It's suspended on stilts, it doesn't meet code, and it isn't even on their property.
"Nobody wants to see Katie cry. This court included," the judge said.
So Thursday, borough officials hauled Katie's grandmother, who owns the house, to court.
She claims she has permission to build on the property, which abuts hers, and which she's used for other things for 30 years.
A judge has given her 30 days to figure out how to make it conform to the building code.
"I don't want to break a little girl's heart. My job is to enforce the ordinance which I will do!" the judge said.
"What do you think you'll feel if the judge says you can't keep it?" Eyewitness News reporter Josh Einiger asked.
"I'll cry and feel really sad," Katie Tenebruso said.
But for now, Katie will wait for word and enjoy her treehouse, while she still can.
new jersey, new jersey news, josh einiger
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 19 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 23 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 32 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 40 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
19 min ago