New Jersey News
Suspect arrested in Millburn home invasion, beating
MILLBURN, N.J. (WABC) -- A suspect has been arrested in the brutal home invasion and beating of a woman in Millburn.
The arrest of 42-year-old Shawn Custis was made in conjunction with the FBI Task Force, members of the Essex County Prosecutor's office, the NYPD and Milburn Police.
FBI agents arrested Shawn Custis in the Inwood section of Manhattan Friday evening. He was allegedly hiding out at his girlfriend's home.
As the 42-year-old was hauled off to Newark, that woman's daughter who refused to give her name, explained they had no idea he was allegedly caught on nanny cam punching, kicking, and choking a woman in her home and in front of her scared 3-year-old daughter.
The video brought her to tears.
She says they didn't see this video because they don't have cable TV.
Last Friday, the suspect forcibly entered the woman's Cypress Street home at around 10 a.m., where the mother was with two young children.
He assaulted the woman, including throwing her down the basement stairs.
A portion of the horrifying attack was captured on the family's home video and shown to the public earlier this week.
Her 3-year-old daughter and 1-year-old son were not physically hurt.
And amazingly their mother only suffered minor injuries.
Custis is charged with first degree attempted murder in connection with the June 21 assault on the Millburn mother. He is also charged with first degree robbery, 2nd degree burglary and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
The Honorable Judge Thomas Moore, J.S.C., has set bail at $750,000.
County chief of detectives Anthony Ambrose said Friday that Custis was being transported to an undisclosed location in New Jersey.
new jersey, assault, home invasion, millburn, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 8 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
50 min ago