New Jersey News
Man indicted in stabbing at Bed Bath & Beyond in Freehold
FREEHOLD, N.J. (WABC) -- A New Jersey man accused of stabbing a stranger about a dozen times as she pushed her 5-month-old baby in a stroller at a Bed Bath & Beyond earlier this year has been indicted on attempted murder charges.
Nineteen-year-old Tyrik Haynes of Middletown also faces two weapons counts in the indictment handed up Friday by a Monmouth County grand jury. He remained jailed Saturday on $1,050,000 bail.
A motive for the Jan. 17 attack has not been disclosed.
The victim, Kerri Dalton, was hospitalized for several days but has since recovered from her injuries. Her child was not injured in the attack.
A public defender representing Haynes has declined to comment on the case.
In January, Kerri Dalton's husband revealed details about the attack and her recovery.
"Her second call was to me, because she needed to tell me what had happened. She just said, 'I need you, I've been stabbed,' and that was the last I heard from her," said Roger Dalton.
Roger Dalton said he is the luckiest man in the world. He's lucky that his 29-year-old wife Kerri is alive.
"She didn't realize that she was being stabbed, because the first stab was in her neck, alright. And this animal actually took her and held her up just to make sure that she didn't fall over and stabbed her in the neck, and then continued to stab her until she fell on the ground. She was stabbed 13 times all over her body. So, I can't touch her, I can't hug her, because if I try to hug her I'm touching something," Dalton said.
Of course she shared her desperate determination to survive with the love of her life, the man who raised his first child alone. He said that as Kerri lay bleeding on the floor, she thought that Roger should not have to raise another child alone again.
"Her mother instinct kicked in. She said to herself, 'If this is it, this is the way I'm going to die,' and she kept fighting, 'I'm not dying like this,'" Dalton said.
new jersey, monmouth county, stabbing, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles 14 min ago
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 35 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS 1 min ago
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Third grader killed in accident, truck...
14 min ago
- Car dealer charged after selling...
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
1 min ago
- Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos