New Jersey News
Parent charged after seating scuffle at New Jersey graduation
NEW MILFORD, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say a dispute over seating at a northern New Jersey high school graduation ended with a parent punching a police officer.
New Milford police say 49-year-old borough resident Sanjiv Agarwal was charged with assault.
Authorities say Agarwal arrived late for the New Milford High School ceremony, which was staged at another school.
Citing fire codes, attendees were barred from standing in the rear or aisles of the school's auditorium once the room reached capacity. To accommodate the overflow crowd, live-stream video of the ceremony was available in two classrooms.
After being told he couldn't enter the auditorium, authorities say Agarwal tried to force his way in by pushing teachers and guests. After ignoring directives to leave, he allegedly punched one officer as police tried to physically remove him.
new jersey, new milford, graduation, new jersey news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 17 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 12 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 54 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos