New Jersey News
Parent charged after seating scuffle at New Jersey graduation
NEW MILFORD, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say a dispute over seating at a northern New Jersey high school graduation ended with a parent punching a police officer.
New Milford police say 49-year-old borough resident Sanjiv Agarwal was charged with assault.
Authorities say Agarwal arrived late for the New Milford High School ceremony, which was staged at another school.
Citing fire codes, attendees were barred from standing in the rear or aisles of the school's auditorium once the room reached capacity. To accommodate the overflow crowd, live-stream video of the ceremony was available in two classrooms.
After being told he couldn't enter the auditorium, authorities say Agarwal tried to force his way in by pushing teachers and guests. After ignoring directives to leave, he allegedly punched one officer as police tried to physically remove him.
new jersey, new milford, graduation, new jersey news
- Missing plane may have turned back 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 26 min ago
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 47 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Missing plane may have turned back
3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
43 min ago