New Jersey News
Irvington bodega owner fatally shot in robbery
IRVINGTON (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a northern New Jersey bodega owner was killed in a shooting that was captured by a store security camera.
Fifty-two-year-old Narendrak Patel was working behind the counter of the Irvington Mini Market when at least one armed gunman entered the store shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday and apparently tried to rob the store.
Patel was shot several times and was pronounced dead a short time later.
Further details on the shooting, including what type of weapon was used, have not been disclosed. It was not clear if the assailant made off with any cash or items from the store.
The slaying is the eighth homicide recorded in the Essex County community this year. There were nine killings in Irvington in 2012.
new jersey, irvington, murder, new jersey news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing