New Jersey News
Irvington bodega owner fatally shot in robbery
IRVINGTON (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a northern New Jersey bodega owner was killed in a shooting that was captured by a store security camera.
Fifty-two-year-old Narendrak Patel was working behind the counter of the Irvington Mini Market when at least one armed gunman entered the store shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday and apparently tried to rob the store.
Patel was shot several times and was pronounced dead a short time later.
Further details on the shooting, including what type of weapon was used, have not been disclosed. It was not clear if the assailant made off with any cash or items from the store.
The slaying is the eighth homicide recorded in the Essex County community this year. There were nine killings in Irvington in 2012.
new jersey, irvington, murder, new jersey news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 34 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Dead cats found in bags hanging from tree in Yonkers 12 min ago
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- 2 injured in elevator accident in Manhattan building 5 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos