New Jersey News
Irvington bodega owner fatally shot in robbery
IRVINGTON (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a northern New Jersey bodega owner was killed in a shooting that was captured by a store security camera.
Fifty-two-year-old Narendrak Patel was working behind the counter of the Irvington Mini Market when at least one armed gunman entered the store shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday and apparently tried to rob the store.
Patel was shot several times and was pronounced dead a short time later.
Further details on the shooting, including what type of weapon was used, have not been disclosed. It was not clear if the assailant made off with any cash or items from the store.
The slaying is the eighth homicide recorded in the Essex County community this year. There were nine killings in Irvington in 2012.
new jersey, irvington, murder, new jersey news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos