New Jersey News
Irvington bodega owner fatally shot in robbery
IRVINGTON (WABC) -- Prosecutors say a northern New Jersey bodega owner was killed in a shooting that was captured by a store security camera.
Fifty-two-year-old Narendrak Patel was working behind the counter of the Irvington Mini Market when at least one armed gunman entered the store shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday and apparently tried to rob the store.
Patel was shot several times and was pronounced dead a short time later.
Further details on the shooting, including what type of weapon was used, have not been disclosed. It was not clear if the assailant made off with any cash or items from the store.
The slaying is the eighth homicide recorded in the Essex County community this year. There were nine killings in Irvington in 2012.
new jersey, irvington, murder, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures 18 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips 22 min ago
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Winter Weather Advisory
15 min ago