New Jersey News
Borgata in Atlantic City targeted in jewel heist
ATLANTIC CITY -- Police say three thieves in a smash-and-grab jewelry heist at Atlantic City's Borgata Hotel did not make off with as much as previously thought.
Atlantic City Police Sgt. Monica McMenamin says the men took nearly $200,000 in men's and women's Rolex watches. The haul was previously estimated at $500,000.
The theft was reported at about 8:45 p.m. Monday amid the hotel's 10th anniversary celebration.
McMenamin says the men ran from the store before taking off in a dark-colored vehicle. She says they did not use or threaten to use weapons.
Police still are looking for the three.
The Borgata issued a statement saying it is "fully assisting and cooperating with law enforcement in their efforts to find and prosecute the people involved." The Borgata opened July 2, 2003, as the first new casino in the resort town in 13 years.
new jersey, atlantic city, robbery, new jersey news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos