New Jersey News
Borgata in Atlantic City targeted in jewel heist
ATLANTIC CITY -- Police say three thieves in a smash-and-grab jewelry heist at Atlantic City's Borgata Hotel did not make off with as much as previously thought.
Atlantic City Police Sgt. Monica McMenamin says the men took nearly $200,000 in men's and women's Rolex watches. The haul was previously estimated at $500,000.
The theft was reported at about 8:45 p.m. Monday amid the hotel's 10th anniversary celebration.
McMenamin says the men ran from the store before taking off in a dark-colored vehicle. She says they did not use or threaten to use weapons.
Police still are looking for the three.
The Borgata issued a statement saying it is "fully assisting and cooperating with law enforcement in their efforts to find and prosecute the people involved." The Borgata opened July 2, 2003, as the first new casino in the resort town in 13 years.
new jersey, atlantic city, robbery, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 12 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014