New Jersey News
Borgata in Atlantic City targeted in jewel heist
ATLANTIC CITY -- Police say three thieves in a smash-and-grab jewelry heist at Atlantic City's Borgata Hotel did not make off with as much as previously thought.
Atlantic City Police Sgt. Monica McMenamin says the men took nearly $200,000 in men's and women's Rolex watches. The haul was previously estimated at $500,000.
The theft was reported at about 8:45 p.m. Monday amid the hotel's 10th anniversary celebration.
McMenamin says the men ran from the store before taking off in a dark-colored vehicle. She says they did not use or threaten to use weapons.
Police still are looking for the three.
The Borgata issued a statement saying it is "fully assisting and cooperating with law enforcement in their efforts to find and prosecute the people involved." The Borgata opened July 2, 2003, as the first new casino in the resort town in 13 years.
new jersey, atlantic city, robbery, new jersey news
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg 48 min ago
- Bratton to join Sharpton at rally in Harlem 19 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman