New Jersey News
Police: Hackettstown school lockdown phoned in by man in Korea
SEOUL, South Korea -- South Korean police say a local man is responsible for prank 911 calls that prompted school lockdowns in New Jersey last year.
The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency said Monday in a statement that a 19-year-old surnamed Lee made calls from South Korea to a New Jersey communications center and threatened to use an AK-47 to kill students at Hackettstown High School.
The calls led schools in the northwestern New Jersey town and at Centenary College to keep students inside for four hours while police searched the area.
South Korean police began investigating after U.S. authorities traced the calls to South Korea. Police say Lee used a smartphone application to make the calls.
Police declined to provide contact information for Lee. The statement says he's serving in the military.
new jersey, school lockdown, hackettstown, new jersey news
- At least 2 dead, 28 hurt in East Harlem explosion 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 46 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East... 36 min ago
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect... 46 min ago
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem 51 min ago
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15... 52 min ago
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion... 52 min ago
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination