New Jersey News
Beaches and parade hot spots for 4th of July
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- On a hot and humid 4th of July, many people flocked to area beaches, while others took in traditional holiday parades.
The best people to stay cool was at the beach, and in Belmar, visitors walked on the new boardwalk built after Superstorm Sandy.
Thousands hit the beaches, enjoying the sunny skies and warm weather.
The beach weather is expected to continue, with a heat advisory in effect for the next few days.
In Union Beach, which was destroyed by Sandy, residents had something to celebrate.
The working-class town won a party and fireworks contest from the television station Destination America and USA Weekend magazine.
"It's wonderful. Everyone's been so depressed," said Mary Chepulis as she watched a local band perform on a stage that stood where the home next to hers had been.
Connecticut's state parks with access to lakes and Long Island Sound quickly filled up as visitors tried to beat the heat and humidity.
Cyndy Chanaca, a spokeswoman for the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, said Thursday that parking lots were filling to capacity at Hammonasset State Park in Madison and Rocky Neck State Park in Old Lyme, the two major public areas on Long Island Sound.
Motorists also were flocking on Independence Day to many other parks that offer swimming at lakes. Visitors were claiming every available parking space.
Many towns held their annual 4th of July parades, and one of the largest in New Jersey was in Ridgewood.
Residents lined the streets as the village held its 103th Independence Day parade.
Gov. Chris Christie, his wife Mary Pat Christie and other family members marched in the parade.
new jersey, new jersey news
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Bratton to join Sharpton at rally in Harlem 42 min ago
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 10 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
10 min ago