New Jersey News
Mother accused of leaving 2-year old in hot car in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- A Newark mother is facing child endangerment charges, after she allegedly left her 2-year old alone inside a hot car.
23-year-old Sophia Charles was not only arrested, but her 2-year-old child was taken out of her custody.
Newark police say Charles left the child locked in her car, on the 700 block of Broad Street, while she went shopping.
Katrell Thomas just happened to be walking by, and spotted the child.
"I saw him, he was slumped over," said Katrell Thomas, a witness.
He got help and police arrested Charles when she returned to her car.
"It's very irresponsible, someone could have harmed the child, could have gotten overheated and passed out," said Tameshia Holloway, a Newark resident.
University Hospital ER Dr. Hosseinali Shahidi says small kids are especially vulnerable to the heat of a locked car in sweltering temperatures.
"Their temperature goes up, they sweat if they can, everything becomes disturbed in their body system because they can't get rid of the heat," Dr. Shahidi said.
And in extreme cases, it could be, and has been often times, deadly.
"Heat stroke, dehydration, they could die. (How quickly could that happen?) Depending on the temperature, very quickly," Dr. Shahidi said.
The child was treated at University Hospital and is fine, and also very lucky someone stopped and noticed.
new jersey, newark, child endangerment, new jersey news, toni yates
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 46 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
44 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos