New Jersey News
Dummy grenade prompts evacuation of New Jersey school
JACKSON (WABC) -- An apparent dummy grenade in a summer school student's backpack prompted the evacuation of a New Jersey elementary school Tuesday morning.
The item was reportedly found at Elms Elementary in Jackson.
EMS and the fire department set up a staging area at nearby Geotz Middle School, where students were relocated.
Officers and detectives conducted interviews of the student and the student's parents, who indicated that the item was an inert practice grenade that had been purchased at a flea market.
The incident remains under investigation pending an examination of the grenade by the New Jersey State Police Bomb Unit, to confirm that the grenade is not live.
The school released the following statement:
"Students in the Extended School Year/Camp P.A.W.S. program at Elms Elementary School are now being brought back to Elms after being relocated temporarily to Goetz Middle School this morning while police investigate the presence of a suspicious item brought to the school this morning in a student's backpack. The backpack remained in the parking lot outside the building while police investigated.
Students who arrived for the 8 a.m. program at Elms were brought across the street to the Goetz Middle School by district staff and district buses. Students who were scheduled to arrive for the 9 a.m. program were dropped off directly at Goetz Middle School. All school staff at Elms were also moved to Goetz.
There was no cause for alarm. The students were not in harm's way. Students remained with their district staff members at Goetz until police informed us they could return to Elms at 10:30 a.m."
new jersey, school evacuation, new jersey news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 10 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath & Beyond
- High winds damage power lines, Bed, Bath & Beyond store
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas