New Jersey News
Search and rescue officer plucked from Ridgefield swamp
RIDGEFIELD (WABC) -- Search and rescue teams in New Jersey had to save one of their own Tuesday night.
A suspect in a drug investigation fled from DEA agents at the Vince Lombardi Service Area off the New Jersey Turnpike in Ridgefield Tuesday afternoon.
He ran into a marsh area by the rest stop, where an active search continued into the night.
At one point, a law enforcement officer involved in the manhunt became disoriented in the swamp and had to be rescued.
The officer was in contact with authorities via cell phone and told them he could see the lights of the service area.
He was found soon after, uninjured.
It was not known if the suspect was caught.
new jersey, ridgefield, rescue, new jersey news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- World Cup teams hoping for luck of the draw 37 min ago
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Photos: Long Island Rail Road massacre
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation