New Jersey News
Search and rescue officer plucked from Ridgefield swamp
RIDGEFIELD (WABC) -- Search and rescue teams in New Jersey had to save one of their own Tuesday night.
A suspect in a drug investigation fled from DEA agents at the Vince Lombardi Service Area off the New Jersey Turnpike in Ridgefield Tuesday afternoon.
He ran into a marsh area by the rest stop, where an active search continued into the night.
At one point, a law enforcement officer involved in the manhunt became disoriented in the swamp and had to be rescued.
The officer was in contact with authorities via cell phone and told them he could see the lights of the service area.
He was found soon after, uninjured.
It was not known if the suspect was caught.
new jersey, ridgefield, rescue, new jersey news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance 20 min ago
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade 51 min ago
- Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade
51 min ago