New Jersey News
Man shot by police during Roseland domestic dispute
ROSELAND (WABC) -- A man was shot during an exchange of gunfire with police after he barricaded himself in his ex-girlfriend's home in New Jersey during an apparent domestic dispute.
The man, identified as 51-year-old Anthony Docaturo, was hit by police gunfire after bursting into his ex-girlfriend's townhouse on Schweinberg Drive in Roseland just after 10 p.m. Wednesday.
He reportedly threatened to kill her before she and her teenage son ran for safety and called police. Officers arrived while Docaturo was apparently firing shots at them. Then he turned his attention to police, firing at them as well.
"The biggest challenge was that my officer was under fire when he responded," Roseland Police Chief Richard McDonough said. "The fear that was going on inside, we didn't know what was taking place. I believe my officer's actions probably saved the too people inside the home."
During the exchange, the woman and her son were able to escape the house.
Docaturo was struck in the abdomen by police gunfire, but stayed barricaded inside the townhouse for the next five hours.
Heavily armed police evacuated the normally quiet street while negotiating with the barricaded man.
He finally surrendered just after 3 a.m. and was taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital for treatment of the gunshot wound.
The woman and her teen son were not injured. She apparently had been granted a restraining order against Docaturo, but it had not yet been served.
new jersey, police shooting, domestic violence, new jersey news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 4 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 41 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos