New Jersey News
Arrest in case of man killed trying to stop his brother's robbers
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Police have made an arrest in the murder of a Jersey City teenager who was trying to stop thieves from robbing his brother.
Police say Heru Amun'Tehu shot 19-year old Mohammed Choudry in the chest outside his family's home Friday morning.
Investigators say Choudry was chasing the suspect, after he stole his brother's cell phone outside their home.
'Tehu, 18, is charged with felony murder and robbery.
His bail has been set at $250,000.
Now the brother Mohamed tried to help and their entire family is devastated.
"Too much love, yeah my brother shot," said Yasser Choudhry, the victim's brother.
Even through broken English, you could hear Yasser Choudhry's pain.
Early Friday morning as his family was preparing food for a Ramadan celebration, two men approached Yasser outside of his Mallory Avenue home.
"The two guy coming. They said, 'Give me your phone,' I said, 'No," Choudhry said.
But the two men snatched his phone anyway and ran. Yasser screamed for his brother Muhammad to help.
So the brothers chased the men across the street. They didn't see a gun. They thought they were just chasing two men who stole a cell phone.
But just as they got to the end of the block, one of the men pulled out a gun and fired.
There was only one shot fired, but it hit Muhammad.
Yasser was unable to do anything.
"Nothing. That's the only shot and that's it," Choudhry said.
Muhammad was a 19-year-old immigrant from Pakistan who just graduated and hoped to go to college.
His friends say Muhammad was a good guy who loved to play cricket.
"We are immigrant families over here and our intentions are very clear to pursue an honest living," a friend said.
Now his family prays not only for the month of Ramadan, but for Muhammad.
A young vibrant athlete whose life was so senselessly cut short.
"Family is not happy. Too much sad. It's a lot of sadness, yeah a lot of sad," Choudhry said.
"Ramadan tells us to be patient to feel for others who are hungry and suffering out there. I can't tell how the family is doing. They are definitely devastated," a family friend said.
new jersey, robbery, shooting, jersey city, new jersey news, phil lipof
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 15 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 39 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 2 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 12 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 35 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
2 min ago