New Jersey News
Funeral Friday for New Jersey teen stabbed to death
LITTLE FALLS (WABC) -- Friends and family will gather to bid a final farewell to a teenager who was stabbed to death in New Jersey.
A wake was held for 18-year-old Brian Topoleski at Shook's Cedar Grove Funeral Home Thursday. He will be laid to rest Friday morning following a 10 a.m. service at St. Catherine of Siena Roman Catholic Church on Pompton Avenue in Cedar Grove.
Police say Topoleski got into a fight with 20-year-old Jonathan Lafontaine late Sunday while the two were riding in separate cars in Little Falls.
Investigators say Lafontaine used two knives to fatally stab the recent Cedar Grove High School graduate.
On Wednesday, Lafontaine pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges, claiming he acted in self-defense.
Passaic County prosecutors have said the stabbing occurred after a case of mistaken identity involving two groups of friends quickly turned violent.
But Lafontaine's lawyer, Douglas Anton, strongly disputed that account. Speaking after the hearing, Anton told reporters that his client was not the aggressor and did not stab Topoleski.
Lafontaine remains jailed on $1.5 million cash bail.
new jersey, little falls, stabbing, new jersey news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 10 min ago
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets 8 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
17 min ago