New Jersey News
Ex-prosecutor dead in apparent suicide on Route 17 in New Jersey
EAST RUTHERFORD (WABC) -- Authorities say a former prosecutor in New Jersey and TV commentator apparently shot himself to death on Route 17 Wednesday afternoon.
Two boys found John Fahy's body on a sidewalk under a railroad trestle on Route 17 South in East Rutherford, near the Castle Billiards Lounge around 5 p.m. A handgun and a cellphone were next to the body.
Fahy was a former assistant U.S. attorney in Newark before serving as Bergen County prosecutor from 1990 to 1995. He later was a commentator on MSNBC, Court TV and CNBC.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says Fahy apparently walked to the location where he killed himself because his car was found at his Rutherford home.
Molinelli says the death came as a shock.
Police closed the road during their investigation, causing a major traffic jam for hours.
An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
new jersey, east rutherford, suicide, new jersey news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 46 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 46 min ago
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner 15 min ago
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 44 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K 5 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
46 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
46 min ago
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD...
15 min ago