New Jersey News
Ex-prosecutor dead in apparent suicide on Route 17 in New Jersey
EAST RUTHERFORD (WABC) -- Authorities say a former prosecutor in New Jersey and TV commentator apparently shot himself to death on Route 17 Wednesday afternoon.
Two boys found John Fahy's body on a sidewalk under a railroad trestle on Route 17 South in East Rutherford, near the Castle Billiards Lounge around 5 p.m. A handgun and a cellphone were next to the body.
Fahy was a former assistant U.S. attorney in Newark before serving as Bergen County prosecutor from 1990 to 1995. He later was a commentator on MSNBC, Court TV and CNBC.
Bergen County Prosecutor John Molinelli says Fahy apparently walked to the location where he killed himself because his car was found at his Rutherford home.
Molinelli says the death came as a shock.
Police closed the road during their investigation, causing a major traffic jam for hours.
An autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
new jersey, east rutherford, suicide, new jersey news
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos