New Jersey News
Car thefts end in police-involved shooting in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police in Newark are investigating a pair of car thefts that ended in a police-involved shooting in the city's East Ward early Friday.
Authorities say that officers assigned to an carjacking detail, in response to a recent up tick of incidents, spotted a Land Rover around 7 a.m. with three people inside that was previously stolen from Morris County.
They followed the vehicle from Frelinghuysen Avenue and West Bigelow to a hotel parking lot on the 600 block of Routes 1&9 southbound, where at least two of supects exited the Land Rover and attempted to enter a stolen Audi driving by a fourth suspect.
As officers moved in, police say the driver turned the vehicle in the direction of the officers in an attempt to run them down.
One officer discharged his service weapon, striking the suspect in the head. He was subsequently apprehended at the scene and transported to UMDNJ, where he is listed in stable condition.
The remaining suspects fled on foot and are still at large.
The officers were not injured, but they were treated at an area hospital for stress-related symptoms.
The investigation is continuing.
new jersey, newark, carjacking, police shooting, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach 6 min ago
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 25 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 32 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall