New Jersey News
Goats tackle poison ivy problems in New York, New Jersey
SANDY HOOK (WABC) -- Goats from upstate New York are the first line of defense to stop a poison ivy invasion at some historic spots in New York and New Jersey.
Fort Wadsworth is under attack. An invasion of weeds is threatening to overtake the outlook to New York harbor.
"They've only been here a week it was inundated with vegetation. They've already cleaned up," Kathy Garolfalo, of Gateway National Recreation area, said.
The troops devouring the enemy are a curious herd of goats.
"They're opportunistic feeders. They clear everything," Garolfalo said.
Eight adults and 12 kids eat 20% of their body weight each day.
"They eat vines, bark. Opportunistic eaters," she said.
They are gobbling up Japanese knot weed and chomping down poison Ivy.
"Poison ivy is fine. They don't get a rash or sick from it," Garolfalo said.
Overgrowth threatens the view. It's very steep terrain, unless you're a goat
"We can't get equipment like mowers up there or even weed wackers," Garolfalo said.
The goats just got hired at the Jersey Shore to clear poison ivy around Sandy Hook Light House. It's a $12,000 dollar job. It's less expensive for taxpayers and a chance for park goers to get a better view.
A farmer in upstate New York employs the 60 goats working for Gateway National Recreation area.
To learn more about this green project "goat tours" happen on Sundays at 11am at the Fort Wadsworth overlook on Staten Island.
new jersey, animals, new jersey news, amy freeze
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 16 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 39 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV 50 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
16 min ago