New Jersey News
2 suspects wounded in police-involved shooting in Newark
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- An investigation is underway into a police-involved shooting early Monday morning in Newark.
Prosecutors say an off-duty Essex County corrections officer was exiting his car at Pomona Avenue and Bergen Street at about 3 a.m. when he was approached by three gunmen.
According to investigators, there were shots fired by the suspects and the officer returned fire, shooting two of them.
The two are in critical condition at University Hospital, but the third suspect fled the scene and remains at large.
The corrections officer was taken to an area hospital and treated for a stress-related medical condition.
Authorities say the motive appears to be robbery.
new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013