New Jersey News
2 suspects wounded in police-involved shooting in Newark
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- An investigation is underway into a police-involved shooting early Monday morning in Newark.
Prosecutors say an off-duty Essex County corrections officer was exiting his car at Pomona Avenue and Bergen Street at about 3 a.m. when he was approached by three gunmen.
According to investigators, there were shots fired by the suspects and the officer returned fire, shooting two of them.
The two are in critical condition at University Hospital, but the third suspect fled the scene and remains at large.
The corrections officer was taken to an area hospital and treated for a stress-related medical condition.
Authorities say the motive appears to be robbery.
new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 6 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster