New Jersey News
2 suspects wounded in police-involved shooting in Newark
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- An investigation is underway into a police-involved shooting early Monday morning in Newark.
Prosecutors say an off-duty Essex County corrections officer was exiting his car at Pomona Avenue and Bergen Street at about 3 a.m. when he was approached by three gunmen.
According to investigators, there were shots fired by the suspects and the officer returned fire, shooting two of them.
The two are in critical condition at University Hospital, but the third suspect fled the scene and remains at large.
The corrections officer was taken to an area hospital and treated for a stress-related medical condition.
Authorities say the motive appears to be robbery.
new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 1 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
1 min ago