New Jersey News
Fox that attacked little girl in New Jersey tested positive for rabies
LAKEWOOD, N.J. (WABC) -- A fox that attacked a four-year-old girl in Lakewood, New Jersey has tested positive for rabies.
She will receive a rabies-prevention treatment for 14 days and officials will closely monitor her condition.
"I heard screaming" said Eli Abad, a neighbor.
Eli Abad showed Eyewitness News with his hands how big the wild animal was that terrorized his young neighbor on Saturday.
It was a blondish red fox, one common in the area.
The child had been playing in her backyard with her mother she told the Lakewood Police the fox came out of nowhere, scratching her daughter arms and legs with its sharp claws hard enough to draw blood.
Animal control was also on the scene according to Lt. Steve Allaire.
He was unauthorized to speak on camera but told Eyewitness News they were attempting to put a snare around the fox's head when it became vicious and a police officer fired twice to put the animal down.
The fox died at the scene.
Sightings like this are rare though and foxes aren't known to attack.
Kids were inside or behind fences in the neighborhood and many parents said they'll be extremely careful while their children play outside.
new jersey, lakewood, animals, new jersey news, nina pineda
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 11 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 35 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 8 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 31 min ago