New Jersey News
Fox that attacked little girl in New Jersey tested positive for rabies
LAKEWOOD, N.J. (WABC) -- A fox that attacked a four-year-old girl in Lakewood, New Jersey has tested positive for rabies.
She will receive a rabies-prevention treatment for 14 days and officials will closely monitor her condition.
"I heard screaming" said Eli Abad, a neighbor.
Eli Abad showed Eyewitness News with his hands how big the wild animal was that terrorized his young neighbor on Saturday.
It was a blondish red fox, one common in the area.
The child had been playing in her backyard with her mother she told the Lakewood Police the fox came out of nowhere, scratching her daughter arms and legs with its sharp claws hard enough to draw blood.
Animal control was also on the scene according to Lt. Steve Allaire.
He was unauthorized to speak on camera but told Eyewitness News they were attempting to put a snare around the fox's head when it became vicious and a police officer fired twice to put the animal down.
The fox died at the scene.
Sightings like this are rare though and foxes aren't known to attack.
Kids were inside or behind fences in the neighborhood and many parents said they'll be extremely careful while their children play outside.
new jersey, lakewood, animals, new jersey news, nina pineda
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 28 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal 42 min ago
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 17 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 34 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25 42 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos