New Jersey News
Dog shot at point blank range behind building in Paterson, New Jersey
PATERSON, New Jersey (WABC) -- The Paterson SPCA is asking for the public's help in searching for a suspect they said shot a dog that was tied up to an abandoned building.
A case of animal cruelty, so disturbing we had to blur the more gruesome parts of the picture pof the pitbull who had to be put down after being shot in the face at point blank range.
"The bullet went through the nose, through his throat and into his chest, there was nothing you could possibly do to save it," said John DeCando ,Paterson's Animal Control Chief.
Authorities tell Eyewitness News, the dog was behind an abandoned building on 12th avenue, tied up with food and water.
Around 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday neighbors heard barking and then a gunshot.
"It was crying and I guess it was whimpering, or whatever," said one witness.
The young girl did not wish to be identified but her mother was the one who called police.
"It was just so pitiful just to see this dog sitting there laying in its own blood, crying for help," adds DeCando.
They aren't sure why anyone would want to shoot an innocent dog.
Animal lovers fear it's a glaring example of how pitbulls in general are misunderstood, and on a street with lots of abandoned buildings and its fair share of violent crime, so far, no witnesses have come forward.
A non-profit group called START2 has put up a $1,000 reward for info leading to an arrest and conviction of a suspect in this case. If anyone has any additional information, they are asked to call Paterson Police Department or Paterson Animal Control.
new jersey, new jersey news, stacey sager
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen