New Jersey News
Police investigate double murder in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police in Newark are searching for the gunmen who shot and killed two people and left three others wounded Friday night.
The shooting happened in front of the old 18th Avenue elementary school just after 6:30 p.m.
Sources say two masked men pulled up in a dark sedan, got out and opened fire.
The victims have been identified as 36-year old Clifton Purkett of Newark, and 37-year old Rashid Pryor of Plainfield.
The three people wounded are a 34-year old Irvington man, and two Newark men, ages 39 and 45.
They were taken to University Hospital in Newark, where they are expected to survive.
Sources say the victims were all sitting outside the school when the gunmen pulled up.
According to investigators, it appears that at least some of the victims were targeted.
One of the men who was killed was a father with a young daughter.
The Essex County prosecutor's office is not yet releasing the names of the victims.
Two more people were wounded in a second shooting Friday night, which happened at a nearby location. But further details on that shooting have not been disclosed.
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos