New Jersey News
Police investigate double murder in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police in Newark are searching for the gunmen who shot and killed two people and left three others wounded Friday night.
The shooting happened in front of the old 18th Avenue elementary school just after 6:30 p.m.
Sources say two masked men pulled up in a dark sedan, got out and opened fire.
The victims have been identified as 36-year old Clifton Purkett of Newark, and 37-year old Rashid Pryor of Plainfield.
The three people wounded are a 34-year old Irvington man, and two Newark men, ages 39 and 45.
They were taken to University Hospital in Newark, where they are expected to survive.
Sources say the victims were all sitting outside the school when the gunmen pulled up.
According to investigators, it appears that at least some of the victims were targeted.
One of the men who was killed was a father with a young daughter.
The Essex County prosecutor's office is not yet releasing the names of the victims.
Two more people were wounded in a second shooting Friday night, which happened at a nearby location. But further details on that shooting have not been disclosed.
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Gunman dead in shooting at Colorado high school 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday 36 min ago
- 7 On Your Side gets back $1-million dollars in 2013
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- New York City issues snow alert 7 min ago
- Man in custody after incident at Chelsea school 13 min ago
- Baruch College student died from head injuries, coroner says
- Mom of Newtown victim recalls that painful day 18 min ago
- Police searching for missing Rider U student
- Newtown victims to be remembered Saturday
- Photos: Photos of the Newtown school shooting victims
- Kansas man arrested in car bomb plot at airport
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email 5 min ago
- Mega Millions rises to $425M for Friday drawing
- AccuWeather: Winter storm Saturday
36 min ago