New Jersey News
Funeral Monday for baby killed in West New York bus accident
WEST NEW YORK (WABC) -- A funeral will be held Monday for the baby girl who was killed by an out-of-control bus in New Jersey.
On Sunday, the family of 8-month-old Angelie Paredes held a wake in North Bergen. The service is scheduled for 10 a.m. Monday the Vainieri Funeral Home.
The infant was killed when a light pole fell on top of her stroller in West New York.
Police say the driver of a commuter bus was speeding and using a cell phone when he struck several cars before hitting the pole. Seven others were injured in the crash.
The bus driver, Idowu Daramola, is being held on $250,000 bail. He faces charges of death by auto, reckless driving and using a cell phone while operating a vehicle.
Hudson County Sheriff Frank X. Schillari said Daramola, who lives in Queens, "slipped through the system," which may have happened because Daramola lives and has a valid driver's license in New York.
"This tragedy could have been averted," Schillari said. "I think it's ludicrous that he was still driving. But we're going to try to prevent such accidents in Hudson County from here on in."
Paredes will be buried at Fairview Mausoleum, her family said.
The family has set a website to help pay for the funeral expenses. For more information, please visit https://www.wepay.com/donations/upsilon-baby-angela-paredes-fund.
new jersey, bus accident, bus, baby, new jersey news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 21 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation 54 min ago
- Bob Dylan's Newport electric guitar for sale 16 min ago
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
21 min ago