New Jersey News
Newark police investigating possible sex assault on mother
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are investigating a possible sexual assault against a mother inside an apartment building in Newark Tuesday morning.
"I heard screaming, at first I thought they were watching a movie," said Dwan Bouie, an upstairs neighbor on North 7th Street.
What 16-year-old Dwan Bouie actually heard was his downstairs neighbor being attacked, reportedly by four men.
The 27-year-old woman told neighbors she was near the porch in her back yard when the men dragged her into the basement and began beating her and tearing at her clothing.
"I ran downstairs and by the time I got there the men were gone, the four men. She was bleeding and her clothes were ripped," Bouie said.
Bouie says that's when he and the victim's 9-year-old son called 911.
The younger boy in fact, first alerted the older teen to the trouble by running upstairs.
"He took it okay. He was crying because something happened to his mother like that. He was shocked," Bouie said.
The next door neighbors were stunned to learn of the assault.
Julio Mejia says he watched in horror as the bleeding young woman was taken by ambulance from the home.
"Her clothes were a little torn and she seemed like she had been hurt seriously," said Julia Mejia, a next door neighbor.
Newark police say the investigation is in the very early stages. Investigators have conducted a preliminary interview with the victim, which they say has proven inconclusive.
Investigators continued to collect and gather evidence from the scene on Tuesday afternoon.
new jersey, newark, assault, new jersey news, sandra bookman
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall