New Jersey News
Englewood Cliffs home invasion leads to police chase
ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS, N.J. (WABC) -- Police are still searching for three suspects who broke into a home with two others in New Jersey while posing as a utility workers.
Hours after a group of armed thugs terrorized her in her own home, the woman in her 60's returned from the hospital with her family by her side.
"She wants rest, we're trying to get her to her room to get some rest," the victim's daughter said.
Earlier, Eyewitness News was there as an ambulance took her away.
Around 1 p.m., police say she was home alone when a group of men wearing orange contractor vests knocked on her door, claiming to work for the gas company.
"They said they were there to fix a gas leak, she opened the door and they had some type of a mask on, they had a gun pointed at her," said Chief Michael Cioffi, Englewood Cliffs Police Department.
They stole money and jewelry, and then shoved her down a flight of stairs.
"You are fortunate to look back for a moment and say that everybody seems to be relatively OK," said Sarwar Khobaib, the victim's son-in-law.
Police arrived in time for the suspects to lead them on high speed chase through quiet neighborhoods in at least three towns.
Two of them were captured when their tires went flat. But three more escaped in another car. The two people arrested have been identified as Isiah Freeman and Jory Powell. Both are charged with burglary, attempt to elude police, robbery by force, theft of movable property and conspiracy. Each is being held at the Bergen County Jail on $750,000 bail.
Meanwhile, the robbery shook the quiet Englewood Cliffs neighborhood to its core; some even said they'd seen the men just before the robbery.
"He had a vest on, an orange vest that said contractor. It definitely it didn't look right I have to admit. But it was the middle of the day you kind of figure broad daylight, not going to be doing anything too suspicious," said Linda Kalayjian, a neighbor.
Police believe the suspects fled the scene in a white Infiniti with New York plates, partial plate number GBR.
new jersey, englewood, home invasion, police chase, new jersey news, josh einiger
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 29 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
29 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
48 min ago