New Jersey News
Off-duty East Orange cop shoots burglary suspect
EAST ORANGE, N.J. -- A northern New Jersey man was shot and wounded by an off-duty East Orange police officer when he allegedly tried to break into the officer's vehicle.
Essex County prosecutors say the shooting occurred around 2:35 a.m. Friday at the officer's home.
The officer, whose name was not released, discovered the burglary in progress and approached the man, identified as 19-year-old Robert Robinson of Newark. Robinson allegedly waved an undisclosed object at the officer, who fired his service weapon.
Robinson was treated at a hospital for his wounds and released later Friday. He's charged with aggravated assault, burglary and weapons offenses.
The officer was not injured.
Authorities did not provide further details on the shooting, which remains under investigation.
new jersey, east orange, police shooting, new jersey news
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela 53 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City 53 min ago
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner 22 min ago
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later 51 min ago
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K 12 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
53 min ago
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
53 min ago
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD...
22 min ago