New Jersey News
War vet booted from Wildwood boardwalk over service dog
WILDWOOD (WABC) -- A wounded U.S. war veteran and his wife could not believe what they faced when visiting Wildwood, New Jersey, issuing him a ticket for having a service dog on the boardwalk.
The wounded war veteran says he was kicked off the boards and issued a summons all over his service dog named "Navigator."
"They said that my dog wasn't a Seeing Eye dog and that only Seeing Eye dogs are allowed on the boardwalk," Jared Goering said.
Goering and his wife are visiting from Tampa and they were on their way to dinner Thursday night when they were stopped by police on the North Wildwood boardwalk.
Both tried explaining that the dog, called "Gator" for short, is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which allows Gator to go everywhere Jared goes.
"The officer we were talking to didn't want to hear any of it. He just wanted us off the boardwalk," Jared said.
"Then he went on to say that what do they do give every vet a dog now? He has a vest on him. He has a leash, and that's all that's necessary. He does carry an ID, which (Jared) did give to the officer, and the officer gave it back and said that doesn't mean anything to me," Sally Goering said.
Jared retired from military service after 19 years due to injuries during multiple tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.
He has a traumatic brain injury from two IEDs and problems with mobility. Three-year-old gator helps him walk and go up and down stairs.
"I respect cops, I respect what they do. I know they don't have an easy job. But my job for 20 years was to defend the country. I got shot at on a daily basis and then blown up. You know? Yeah, it hurts," Jared said.
Wildwood's police chief says he's looked into this matter and there is more to it, but declined further comment. The summons has been dismissed.
new jersey, wildwood, dog, dogs, new jersey news, liz cho
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead 49 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 24 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 11 min ago