New Jersey News
Body of missing swimmer found in Raritan Bay off Perth Amboy
PERTH AMBOY, N.J. (WABC) -- The body of a 29-year-old man who disappeared while swimming in Raritan Bay off Perth Amboy was recovered Thursday morning.
A group of fishermen on a pier reportedly spotted the body.
The incident began around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday on the beach off Sadowski Parkway, which is a no-swim beach due to strong currents.
Police say the man, identified as 29-year-old Jorge Ramiro Ortega, was wading in shallow water with an acquaintance and two kids she was babysitting when the current started to get stronger and began to suck them out.
The children, an 11-year-old boy and 7-year-old girl, were struggling, and sources say Ortega did everything he could to push them back towards shore, possibly at the expense of his own life.
Two teenage boys jumped in and managed to save the kids, but they were unable to go back out for Ortega.
"The currents here are very treacherous," Perth Amboy Police Chief Benjamin Ruiz said. "On any given time, when the water can be very calm, because of our proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and the bay waters, at any given time, we run into very treacherous currents underneath the water, and pulls that draws swimmers out there, which is why this is a no-swim area."
Perth Amboy police and fire, the Coast Guard and the NYPD all assisted in the recovery effort.
new jersey, perth amboy, missing person, new jersey news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Malaysian plane mystery continues 5 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
52 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
15 min ago