New Jersey News
Brooklyn man beaten with bat, robbed of sneakers in Englewood
ENGLEWOOD (WABC) -- A bloodstained sidewalk marks the spot where police say a 35 year old Brooklyn man was preyed upon by a trio of thugs.
"He had some severe injuries. His lung collapsed. He had some really bad head injuries. So he was in and out of consciousness," Englewood police Detective Captain Timothy Torell said.
Police believe the victim had partied until early Sunday morning at a nearby Englewood nightclub, and then was targeted and attacked a few blocks away by three men from that same bar.
"They beat him with a baseball bat and took his brand new Lebron James sneakers and a cellphone," Torell said.
Shoeless and bleeding, the victim stumbled toward Palisades Avenue and finally collapsed near a McDonald's.
That's where officers found him thanks to a 911 call.
'In fact, that's how it was called into us. A witness called it in, saw him being beaten and called the police," Torell said.
In addition to interviewing witnesses, detectives say they are reviewing video from security cameras near the scene along Tallman Place.
They are hoping to get more information from the victim as he recovers.
Meanwhile, some who live in this community insist the weekend assault is merely an unfortunate sign of the times.
"Things happen. The economy is bad. Some people get desperate. Let's not forget about that," resident Laura Vogel said.
new jersey, englewood, brooklyn, assault, robbery, new jersey news, sandra bookman
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Malaysian Airlines asks for help in hunt for missing plane
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter 47 min ago
- Brothers plead guilty in Orthodox Jewish divorce scandal
- Greenwich Village fatal bus-truck suspect due in court 36 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 53 min ago
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building 32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos